How do I …?

Q. How do I find out if I need a building permit?

A. Go to the St. Louis County Website. You’ll find information on which projects require a permit and how to complete the application.

Q. How do I get a burning permit?

A. Burning permits are required, unless the ground has 3 inches or more of snow, from the DNR, the USDA Forest Service, or a designated fire warden. Burning hours are written on each permit. A permit is needed for an approved burning container if it is used outside the legal hours of 6 p.m. and 8 a.m., and for all pile burning. You may purchase a burning permit online and use it if conditions allow burning. Check with the DNR to see if there are any restrictions placed on burning before starting any fires.

Q. What can I do (and what can’t I do) in my shoreline area? Who do I contact to find out?

A. Check this Web page for information.

Q. What should I do in my shoreline area?

A. Check this guide for information.


Q. How do I contact the St. Louis County Commission?

Our county commissioner is Tom Rukavina:
Cellphone: 218-780-7666