PEQUAYWAN TOWNSHIP BOARD MEETING
January 12, 2016
Call to Order at 7:30 p.m. by Scott.
- Board members – Supervisors Scott Mead, Lee Kaplan, Don Swanstrom; Treasurer Kim Hand, and Clerk Lita Wallace
- Number of resident/s present – 8
- Number of non-resident/s present – 1
|$ 257,264.05||Total Cash On-Hand on 11/30/15|
|$ 260,694.69||Total Cash On-Hand on 12/31/15|
Motion to approve by Don, second by Lee, (Scott yay, Lee yay, Don, yay) motion carried.
Clerk’s Report – Motion to approve by Don, second by Scott, (Scott yay, Lee yay, Don, yay) motion carried with changes.
- It was clarified that Election Judges are employees of the township and not contractors and their pay is not subject to Social Security and Medicare deductions. Also, they are eligible for Workers’ Comp since annual salary is under $1,600.00.
- Lee conducted a presentation showing how funds can be built up to have a Reserve for Future Road Repair of the worst area of West Branch Road (approximately 1/4 mile) that might affect real estate taxes paid by residents. Future plan is to conduct a civil engineering study in 2016, soil boring analysis in 2017 and bid out the project as early as 2018, if we have accumulated enough funds in the reserve to cover the cost, as estimated by the engineering study. He proposed to set the initial amount in this Reserve to $193,695. Motion by Lee, second by Scott (Scott yay, Lee yay, Don, yay), motion carried. He also proposed to request a $30,000 levy for 2017 during the Annual Meeting in March. Motioned by Lee, second by Don, (Scott yay, Lee yay, Don, yay) motion carried.
- Deadline for submission of Affidavit of Candidacy for open positions in the Town Board closed today at 5:00 p.m. Election will be held on March 8, 2016, at Pequaywan Fire Department, between 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. Absentee ballot is available by contacting the Town Clerk.
- Lita reported that all 2015 Receipts and Claims transactions, budgets; and vendor/ employee names and contact information have been entered into CTAS. A summarized reports of 2015 budget, receipts and expenses by fund, account numbers and object codes were provided to the Board Members.
- Kim reported that a PERA representative advised her that with the low annual income paid to Town Board members compared to the amount of time involved in managing the account, it is not to the benefit of the township to pursue it. The supervisors agreed.
- The Annual Meeting will be moved to start at 8:15 and the Town Board Meeting right after that due to the Town Board election from 5:00-8:00 p.m. Motioned by Don, second by Lee, (Scott yay, Lee yay, Don, yay) motion carried.
- Kim presented reports and graphs of the 2015 Township Financial Report.
- Pequaywan Lakes Area Fire & EMS is requesting an amount of $13,500 for 2017, the same as in previous years. Motion to approve by Scott, second by Don, (Scott yay, Lee yay, Don, yay) motion carried. This amount will be requested for 2017 Levy for discussion during the Annual Meeting.
- Town Board members are invited to attend the 2016 DAT (Duluth Association of Townships) Meetings (1/21, 3/17, 5/19, 8/18, 10/20) – 6:30 PM Rice Lake Town Hall
- 2016 Employee W-2 Forms were distributed.
- An email addressed to all town clerks were issued by St. Louis County Public Works re- “Aggregate Crushing, Crack Sealing and Maintenance Stripping Program services they provide. Scott mentioned that he had talked to them that we do not need any of these done at the township this year.
Claims – Check numbers 1025-1030 were issued in the total amount of $17,836.29. Motion by Scott, second by Lee (Scott yay, Lee yay, Don, yay) motion carried.
Public Comment – During Powerpoint presentation, it was hard to see the screen from where people were sitting. Requesting to move the screen across the room or at the wall by the front door.
Next Meeting: February 9, 2016, 7:30 p.m., Pequaywan Fire Department.
Motion to Adjourn at 8:45 p.m. by Scott, second by Don, motion carried.
Lita Wallace, Town Clerk