Call to Order: Meeting was called to order at 7:30 p.m. by Chair Scott Mead.
Attendance: Chair/Supervisor Scott Mead, Supervisor Lee Kaplan, Supervisor Don Swanstrom, Treasurer Ray Barnes and Clerk Lita Wallace. Others in attendance: two residents and one non-resident.
Clerk’s Report: Minutes of December 12 meeting was presented and reviewed. Motion by Mead to approve the minutes, Swanstrom second. Mead yay, Kaplan yay , Swanstrom yay, motion carried.
Kaplan motion to approve the December meeting Treasurer’s report, Swanstrom second. Mead yay, Kaplan yay , Swanstrom yay, motion carried.
December Treasurer’s Report:
Total Cash on hand as of 11/30/2017 – $255,329.38
Plus: Deposits – $13,734.37
Less Disbursements (December) – $1,087.47
Total Cash on hand as of 12/31/2017 – $267,976.28
December Check # 1297 – 1304
Claims (January) – $15,740.29
January Check # 1305 – 1313
- Mead stated that if we create a Comprehensive Plan, it would be what we would like but could not be less restrictive than the county’s Comprehensive Plan.
- Wallace reported that one Supervisor position is open for the Town Election in March. Deadline to submit Affidavit of Candidacy is January 16. Clerk’s office will be open for filing from 1:00-5:00 p.m. on January 16. Election will be held on March 13 from 5:00-8:00 p.m. at Pequaywan Firehall. Election Judges are Lita Wallace, Katherine Sluka and Robert McDonough.
- Mead met with KTM on December 4 to discuss an updated patch work for West Branch Road and was told that a new estimate will be submitted.
- Kaplan motion to approve the January 2018 claims including $13,500 levied for Pequaywan Fire & Rescue, second by Swanstrom. Mead yay, Kaplan yay , Swanstrom yay, motion carried.
- Mead motion to approve a request from St. Louis County to cross the corner of the township land in their process of setting up timber sale in Sections 18 and 20 of the county land, second by Kaplan. Mead yay, Kaplan yay , Swanstrom yay, motion carried. Form to be signed by Mead and mailed to St. Louis County with stipulation to leave slashing where access could be had from Rossini Road in order to prevent motor vehicles from entering township property.
- Mead requested if the township could help pay for the seminar he is interested in attending. Topic is Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) held on February 28 to March 1 in the Twin Cities. Seminar registration is $170.00. Swanstrom motion to approve up to $300 expense reimbursement to include seminar and part of hotel expenses, Kaplan second, motion carried. Mead yay, Kaplan yay , Swanstrom yay, motion carried.
- The Fire Chief of Pequaywan Fire & Rescue reported on the activities of the fire department last year. Fire Department is requesting that $13,500 be levied for 2019 again. The supervisors unanimously agreed to table this until the Annual Town Meeting.
- Invoice from St. Louis County for 2018 Proposed Tax Stmt Prep in the amount of $69.24
- Invoice for insurance premium 3/1/2018-3/1/2019 from MATIT (Minnesota Association of Townships Insurance & Bond Trust) in the amount of $973.00
- Duluth Association of Townships (DAT) dues for $40, January meeting Agenda and October 2017 meeting minutes
- Letter from St. Louis County Planning Commission on its hearing decision about a request for a conditional use permit from one of the residents
- Request from St. Louis County to access township land in the process of setting up timber sale at Rossini, Sections 18 and 20, of the county land
- Letter from St. Louis County re-Subdivision Ordinance 60 proposed Safe Routes to School program language amendments
- Letter from the Office of Minnesota Secretary of State, Election Calendar, sample ballots and instruction materials for Town Election in March 2018
- Annual Report of Outstanding Indebtedness Form from St. Louis County
- Barnes mailed the completed Annual Report of Outstanding Indebtedness Form to St. Louis County
Public Comment – None
Motion to Adjourn: Kaplan motion to adjourn at 8:20 p.m., second by Swanstrom. Mead yay, Kaplan yay , Swanstrom yay, motion carried.
Next Meeting: February 13, 2018, 7:30 p.m., Pequaywan Fire Department, 8764 Pequaywan Lake Road
Respectfully submitted by,
Lita Wallace, Town Clerk