The meeting was called to order by Chair Scott Mead at 7:30 p.m.
- Supervisors Scott Mead, Lee Kaplan and Don Swanstrom; Treasurer Kim Hand; and Clerk Lita Wallace
- Number of residents present – 7
- Number of non-residents present – 0
Clerk’s Report – Copies of September minutes were provided to attendees. Motion by Lee, second by Don with correction to change day of November meeting from Monday to Tuesday, motion carried (Scott yay, Lee yay, Don yay.)
$259,739.06 — Total cash on hand as of 8/31/2016
$ 220.61 — Add: Deposits
$ 4,033.33 — Less: Expenditures
$255,926.34 Total cash on hand as of 9/30/2016
Motion by Scott, second by Don, motion carried (Scott yay, Lee yay, Don yay.)
- Reminder: General Election, November 8, 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Pequaywan Firehall
- Financing options for major road repair: Determine the cost of the work for each portion of the project. Possibly get a loan from the Credit Union and/or increase the levy request for next year.
- Solving the turnaround snowplow problem, as well as, not having enough room to push the snow. Possible ways to solve the problems: the embankment towards the lake can be filled in; and make the current turnaround area on a resident’s property bigger.
- Contingency Emergency Election and meeting location will be the Snowmobile Club building.
- Firewise Update: chipping is done and the total cost was $19,870 plus other expenses which is on-budget, below the $20,000 grant. Paperworks will be processed and submitted with checks paid and a report of the residents’ hours. Reimbursement is expected within a month. The Firewise committee was very impressed at the participation of the residents.
- Options for filling a vacant Treasurer position in 2017: (a) check with the community if they know someone who would be interested; (b) combine treasurer and clerk position, Option D, if clerk is interested (she is not); (c) if Kim decides to resign before the end of her term, appoint someone to replace her; (d) dissolve the township if we can’t find someone to fill the position which could happen when we are not able to fill-in the supervisor position, as well. If township is dissolved, whatever funds left will go to St. Louis County to be used towards the repair of West Branch Road.
Received: St. Louis County Association of Townships meeting minutes for April 27, 2016 (approved) and May 25, 2016 (unapproved). Notice of General Election for posting from St. Louis County Election Department.
Claims and Payroll – Check numbers 1088-1093 in the amount of $20,634.02.
Public Comment – None
Next Meeting: November 1, 2016, 7:30 p.m., Pequaywan Fire Department, 8764 Pequaywan Lake Road Duluth.
Motion to Adjourn at 8:20 p.m. by Scott, second by Lee, motion carried (Scott yay, Lee yay, Don yay.)