The meeting was called to order by Chair Scott Mead at 7:30 p.m.
- Board members Scott Mead, Lee Kaplan and Don Swanstrom; Treasurer Kim Hand; and Clerk Lita Wallace
- Number of residents present – 7
- Number of non-residents present – 0
Clerk’s Report – Copies of August minutes were provided to attendees. Motion by Don, second by Lee, motion carried (Scott yay, Lee yay, Don yay.)
$254,525.06 — Total cash on hand as of 7/31/2016
$ 6,835.75 — Add: Deposits
$ 1,621.75 — Less: Expenditures
$259,739.06 Total cash on hand as of 8/31/2016
Motion by Don, second by Scott, motion carried (Scott yay, Lee yay, Don yay.)
- West Branch Road easement and ongoing effort to repair it in preparation for the work the county will be doing in the next year or so – The potential buyer in the turnaround area as discussed in last month’s meeting was not happy with the second option to cut down trees. Continue working with St. Louis County for the work to be done in this road. Most likely, due to cost, class V materials will be used.
- Firewise Program Update – The last run of the chipper is September 19 and plan to be finished 1st week in October. Fire signs have been distributed to residents. Directory will be worked on and finish in the fall.
- Logging on the township property – contract expired mid-July. Scott made a phone call to them and sent a letter but the logging company did not respond. Scott inspected the area and reported that there are not a lot of salvageable timber in the land. A resident mentioned that the company was logging close to the area. Scott, Lee and Don went over to discuss what their plans are on logging on the township property. It was proposed to offer them the timber for free if they do a good job of cleaning and $6300 if not, which was the original contract.
- Highway 44 Work Update – 8/10 of a mile will be worked on this month in part of Highway 44 north of the Fire Department where yellow sticks have been placed in the location.
- Election Emergency Plan – If an emergency makes a polling place inoperable prior to election day, the governing official must identify an alternative polling location as near to the designated polling location as possible. A suggestion was made that the Snowmobile Club building would be a good substitute.
- November Town Meeting – Due to the Tuesday, November 8, General Election which will run from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., the November Town Meeting will be moved to Tuesday, November 1, 7:30 p.m.
Received: Materials from St. Louis County Election Department re-Election Emergency Plan.
Claims and Payroll – Check numbers 1079 to 1087 in the amount of $4,004.33
Public Comment –
Next Meeting: October 11, 2016, 7:30 p.m., Pequaywan Fire Department, 8764 Pequaywan Lake Road Duluth.
Motion to Adjourn at 8:07 p.m. by Lee, second by Scott+, motion carried (Scott yay, Lee yay, Don yay.)